Eggnog is a holiday tradition that is often laced with hidden sugars and empty carbs/calories.
Here's a tasty option that will help hit the craving, but save you on the guilt! (alcohol free)
Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat coconut milk will make it creamier and more satiating, but you can use low fat if it will make you feel less guilty)
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (such as unsweetened almond or coconut - watch out for the hidden soy in dairy-free milk)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (to taste preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia extract (if needed to taste preference)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg (to taste preference)
- In a bowl beat egg yolks until lighter in color.
- Add in sugar and stevia and beat until sugar is dissolved - set aside.
- In a separate saucepan combine the milks, salt, and nutmeg and bring the mix to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly add it into the egg/sugar mix, stirring continuously.
- Return everything to the pot, stirring continuously, and heat to a medium setting or about 1-2 minutes - going to high or long with the heat will potentially make the mixture curdle. Keep stirring the pot at this point! Remove from the heat after a minute or so.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Chill and serve!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk as the dairy-free choice. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
NUTRITION INFORMATION - based on almond milk and low-fat coconut milk
Serving size: ¼ of recipe
Calories: 128 Fat: 7.9 g Saturated fat: 4.1 g Unsaturated fat: 3.8 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 11.9 g Sugar: 9.4 g Sodium: 115 mgFiber: 0 g Protein: 2.3 g Cholesterol: 157 mg